Friday 24 May 2019

Another kind review


What a beautifully written and clever way of documenting family history through an easy-read fiction story. The author imagines what her grandmother’s life was like and includes pictures that I assume are old family photos throughout the book. The entire book is compiled of letters that Violet writes to her family and friends. When I first started reading, I wondered if the letters would be tedious after awhile but they are so well-written that they capture your interest through the entire book. It was such a unique and interesting way to share Violet’s story. I found her life relatable even across generations because she traveled to a different country to study at the age of 16 which is something that I also did. This book inspired me to want to write about my experiences and my family’s history too. There are sequels to this story go into Violet’s later years after marriage and I hope to read those as well. Very fascinating reading. Well done Mary Hughes!
Brooke Bent, author of “If You Wake with the Stars”

No comments:

Post a Comment